How to Resign
However tempted you may be, avoid the one finger Salute! There are right and wrong ways to resign, as with everything else in life, and getting it wrong can impact your career. Following these guidelines will help ensure that things go as smoothly as possible:
- Rule #1: Don’t hand in your notice when you are angry or upset.
- Rule #2: Don’t feel obliged to provide specific reasons for your resignation.
- Rule #3: Do write a simple letter stating the date from which your notice period will begin.
- Rule #4: Don’t tell everyone else before you tell your boss.
- Rule #5: Inform your boss face-to-face and don’t labour on negative points about the company or the job.
- Rule #6: Don’t feel obliged to tell your boss where you are going. It is your choice whether you disclose this information.
- Rule #7: Do be cooperative if you are required to help with a hand-over period.
- Rule #8: Do try to make sure your work is up to date and organised before you leave.
- Rule #9: Do think about what you will say if your boss makes you a counter offer.
- Rule #10: Do try to leave on good terms. A good reference is vital.